Monday 16 July 2018

Marriage: Why my husband and I are destined to last a lifetime


This weekend my husband and I had a quite the blow up, which resulted in him walking out and me saying those dreaded words: “Why don’t we just break up?!”

Looking back, I now understand the reasons it went that far, with me being pre-menstrual and him having a cold and being exhausted. A tiny bicker, which would normally have been laughed off by one of us, snowballed into shouting, slamming doors and him walking out. We were both living the argument in highly emotive states, governed by our hormones and bodily conditions. It’s not unusual for Matt and I to buck heads; we are both Leos with big personalities who like to be right and to win! However, we normally release this energy healthy ways, such as political debates and card games (with my being the long-term reigning champion of Shithead by the way!), walking out and declaring a break up are not normal occurrences and it unnerved us both.
Us in our fave spot 
Here’s the thing though, reflecting on the weekend has made me feel more secure and more determined than ever that we are destined to last a lifetime. After Matt walked out, I rang him. Then he rang me. Then I rang him. Then he rang me and left a voicemail. Then he came home again. 20 minutes and four calls later, Matt was back home. Obviously, we didn’t just slip back into normal life right away, but for the sake of our toddler we spent the rest of the day as a family and just got on with it. Reading this situation fills me with such joy and is almost laughable. Once our emotional states were calming and we had taken a breather from each other, we realised that this wasn’t what either of us wanted at all. The amount of phone calls itself tell us that we never really wanted to be apart or stop communicating. We let our emotions override our connection in the moment, but we were both determined to reconnect and be back to normal.


Honeymoon <3
This pure determination that Matt and I both have to make our relationship work is the reason that it will work, and it will work forever. We both want our marriage to succeed, we want to love each other fully, we want to show each other how much we care, we want to make each other happy, we want to forgive instantly, we want to support each other, we want to have fun, we both want this more than anything. There is nothing but unconditional love and determination in our hearts, and that fiery Leo drive that can escalate arguments can also be translated as unbreakable passion. We are connected by our love, passion and drive for our marriage and our family. And now our Wildventure is taking this to another level. 

“So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s going to be really hard; we’re gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me . . . everyday.” The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks.


Yes, there may be tense moments, but these fleeting moments have nothing on our true and raw  connection.

With my husband’s birthday coming up on Saturday, I’d like to end this post by saying:

“Happy birthday to my daring gorgeous husband, let’s go Yurt it up! Woop Woop!”


See more of me here:


No comments:

Post a Comment